will always block police acounts as we find them, as promised in https://github.com/dzuk-mutant/weirder-rules/blob/master/rules-and-etiquette.md
Please understand the limits of what we can do to protect you. These blocks can keep cop propaganda out of our TLs, and add friction to cops' attempts to spy on or intimidate people. But we are not capable of catching all undercover cops, and we can not guarantee that accounts here will never be subpoenaed or hacked.
PBs: the default for accounts is to be opted out of search engine indexing, and has been for some time. If you're on this instance, the only reason you should be getting indexed by search engines is if you've explicitly enabled that for your account. I don't know how reliable this setting is, but at least it's something.
Two quick config changes today:
1) Our list of domain blocks is now visible to everyone. The rationales are not, simply because they're almost all empty anyway because that field is new.
2) Trending hashtags are disabled for now. There is some talk among the mods about making a much more -style version, but unless/until we can get that going we see much more downside than up to this "feature".
admin updates (2/2)
3. I switched the _default_ theme to @firstname.lastname@example.org's Weirder Galaxy. If you had previously chosen a theme this should not override your choice. And if you want to choose any other theme, including Mastodon default, go to Preferences > Appearance > Site Theme.
4. Logged-in local users can now see the list of domain blocks in effect at https://weirder.earth/about/more#unavailable-content (cc @numen) For new blocks we'll try to put something informative in 'rationale'.
Some quick #WeirderAdmin:
1. @vector recently updated us to Mastodon 3.0.1 (thank you!), and we'll switch to Hometown soon, when that catches up with Mastodon 3.x. Among other things, that will allow me to make these posts local-only.
2. I have applied https://plush.city/@mawr/102981490435139198 to embiggen emoji (thanks @hope @mawr for the info). Please let me know if this causes any problems when you view toots.
🚨 warning of future instance block 🚨
Ordinarily any of these things would have been sufficient grounds, and we did silence them some time ago, but mstdn.io is unusual among ~problem instances in that it also hosts many accounts that at least one w.e. user follows. So the moderation team discussed what to do over several weeks and we ultimately decided to defederate but give you all some notice.
My profile photo is a perfect likeness.
#NoBot follows please, only humans.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!