(Huh. Posting this in UK AM probably means that almost no-one will see this, doesn't it? Well, whatever.)
I've been bullied on and off for most of my life in one way or another, and I simply won't stay in a place that condones bullying, even for what appears to be a good reason.
I want to specifically thank everyone who shared 'this is what it means to be ASD' conversation with me, because you really helped me understand that I was genuinely autistic as a kid, not 'sort of' 'maybe' or 'a bit'.
Take care, everyone.
Folks, I'm leaving the fediverse, and specifically Weirder Earth, for a while. Maybe for good.
When I got here I felt at home, safe, part of a community. I'm a pagan otherkin who's not at all comfortable talking about all that online, so that was a big deal for me.
Since the bullying attitude towards WW, I don't feel safe here anymore. I know most of you thought you were doing the right thing, and all of you had good motivation for what you said, but, that doesn't change how safe I feel. …
Right now, in the absense of other evidence, I'm believing this version of events. http://wilwheaton.net/2018/08/the-world-is-a-terrible-place-right-now-and-thats-largely-because-it-is-what-we-make-it/
Feel free to @ me, but don't expect an immediate reply, because I'm taking some time off from … people.
Not because I'm especially enamoured of Mr Wheaton, but because of they way we treated him.
And if this really did go down how it currently looks to me, how many others have we also treated like this, and I've not heard about it?
Take a fucking bow, folks.
I’m all for speaking truth to power but I don’t understand screaming your version of someone else’s reality into their face while they categorically deny it & profess support for your cause until you break them down. What I’ve seen here is nothing short of bullying. And no, it doesn’t make it right because he was on a TV show once.
Don’t @ me. Or do; I know where the block button is & mine’s wired to mew like a kitten… it’s just the cutest 🐈
moderation, this wilw thing Show more
* in general I think it underlines the point that, while I'm certain our moderation is better than Twitter's *could be* (nothing would be worse than what it *is*), it's still made up of people, and people are sometimes problematic.
* I don't know enough to have an opinion on whether WW should be blocked. But I do know we seem to have agreed to turn away someone who gets a lot of abuse on Twitter and isn't obviously an arsehole. And without talking about why AFAICS.
moderation, this wilw thing Show more
So, after a night's sleep to avoid me, a cis person, barking out the first thing that came to mind:
* I still have no idea what Wil has done, other than the dodgy blocklist thing and the hardwick thing, neither of which seem to fit the 'terf' label. (Yep, I searched.)
* I'm not terribly impressed with the way "we" seem to have handled this, personally. WW gets a *lot* of arsehole abuse on twitter. How much of this is the same arseholes following him here? …
wilw Show more
The reaction we should be having to watching Will Wheaton get bullied and harassed out of the fediverse is not "I thought you people would be better!" It's "I thought Mastodon was designed to protect people from exactly this."
Peoples is peoples, and we're going to find ways to be mean to each other no matter how we organize ourselves. Technology can constrain that meanness, or amplify it. Twitter's a megaphone. Can we build Mastodon into a nice set of noise-cancelling headphones?
Regardless of toe level of likelihood of it happening, I really hope the Fediverse *doesn't* replace Twitter.
Because the reason it's nicer here is that most of the arseholes are there, laughing at us and wondering what the problem with Twitter is supposed to be.
My understanding of Mastodon instances is that they're like JRPG towns in that you know everyone there and it's very quaint and comfortable there and as soon as you leave town by looking at the global timeline you're instantly murdered by a swarm of goblins
Don't forget that everybody is different! These toots are just suggestions - take the ones you think might help and leave the rest. Be kind to yourself.
friendly reminder to unclench your fucking jaw
Boost if you're an eldritch abomination whose geometry can't be fathomed by lowly mortals.
I don’t know what’s worse: a relative handful of psychopaths running the show or their having convinced masses of people that they too can be psychopathic if they work really hard at it.
HOW TO USE MASTODON, AN EASY GUIDE:
1. see something nice when going about your day
2. write about it
3. revel in the fact that we are all just people
4. give emotional support and validation to others who write about that nice thing they saw today
Old-guy SF stuff Show more
ITV are showing A New Hope; we put it on for background. But I can't not watch it!
The opening scenes with Obi-wan in the desert are for my money some of the best movie-ing there is:
* "Hello there!" Obiwan introducing himself *straight into camera*
* Obiwan finding that his charge has turned up unexpectedly *with a message from his own sister*. No wonder he took Luke with him; destiny was whacking him around the head.